Every Friday night after shooting IFC’s Comedy Bang! Bang!, musician/comedian/actor/renaissance man Reggie Watts invites the show’s guest over to his keyboard. What follows is a sometimes awkward but always entertaining “make-up-the-words-as-we-go-along” jam session that’s more than worth your time. The whole thing highlights the impressive improvisational skills that musicians and comedians share. My biggest takeaway: Ed helms is really, really, ridiculously good at the banjo. Seriously.
Continue for a collection of my favorite sessions of the series.
Okay, I know it is a Saturday, but today is also June 1st a.k.a. the beginning of the summer months. Did you really expect me to drop a summer mixtape on any other day? Welcome to Summer is the perfect driving-with-the-windows-down mixtape. Like, that is the sole reason I made it. Whether you’re rolling into town blasting RL Grime‘s remix of Chief Keef (making eye contact with the old lady in the car next to you at a stoplight) or just shouting the lyrics of Planetarian‘s “Swim” at the top of your lungs as you cruise down the interstate, this mix works. Plus, how legendary is the sequence of Chance The Rapper into Reggie Watts into Chief Keef into Disclosure?
- Fyfe – Introduction
- Rhye – One of Those Summer Days
- Heems – Medium Green Eyes (ft. Safe)
- Kitty – Dead Island
- Tyler, The Creator – Bimmer
- Planetarian – Swim
- Peter and Kerry – Fucking Around
- Thundercat – Oh Sheit It’s X
- Autre Ne Veut – Play by Play
- Everything Everything – Don’t Try
- Pigeon Hole – June
- Bayou – Forever Deluxe
- Chance The Rapper – Pusha Man (ft. Nate Fox & Lili K.) [Edit]
- Reggie Watts – The Monster and the Princess
- Chief Keef – Love Sosa (RL Grime Remix)
- Disclosure – When a Fire Starts to Burn
- Petite Noir – Noirse
- Francis and the Lights – ETC
- San Cisco – Outro
You daydream about the sea, and I daydream you’ll be mine,
Underneath the shade of leaves, stars over the trees,
Spending a whole summer with you that sounds alright, I’ll,
Meet you in the evening so we can swim tonight
P.S. In case you missed it I made a promo video for this tape. First ever, very rare.