Okay, I’m coming off an entire week of being sick. I’m ready for a fresh start this week. Let’s get after it, mashups. (I saved the best one for last here, yall.)
1. Be Happy (Janelle Monae x Pharrell Williams) – flipboitamidles
2. Gone (Overdo$e, blink182, Anna Kendrick, Linkin Park) [Dr. Brixx Remash] – Ricky Cervantes
3. Ready to Dougie (Fugees x Cali Swag) – Henry Pope
4. Billie Jean – Another One Bites The Dust (Michael Jackson x Queen) – Twina
5. Satellite Home (Darren Styles x Cash Cash x B.o.B x Bebe Rexha) – bvnny
Lots of new mashups this week – hit the jump to hear all of them.
1. “Sail in Change” (Awolnation x Joe Maz x Faul ft. Wad Ad x Pnau x Rihanna) – Mashup-Germany
2. “Rule The War” (Tears For Fears x Blackbird Blackbird) – The Hood Internet
3. “Radioactive Swimming Pools” (Imagine Dragons x Kendrick Lamar) – SWAX
I got called out last week on Twitter for not posting enough Mashup Mondays. I feared it would come to that. So I’m getting my ass in shape and posting a Mashup Monday. (No promises on next week – good mashups are too hard to come by. That might also be an excuse for it being hard to find time to post on Mondays. The real world is the worst.)
1. “Stay/Animal” Mashup/Cover (Miike Snow x Rihanna) – Jessica Rotter & Emily Columbier
2. “Calling All Monsters” (Ellie Goulding x DJ Cassidy x Robin Thicke x Jessie x Eminem x Rihanna x Kanye West x Journey x Gallo & Alaia x Michael Jackson) – Mashup-Germany
3. “Backstreet Rap Alright” (Backstreet Boys x Tupac x Eminem x Nate Dogg x Ludacris) – Poppa Smurf
4. “Counting Favours” (One Republic x Empire Of The Sun) – Carlos Serrano
My goodness, you guys. I sincerely apologize for dropping the [Wrecking] Ball on the Mashup Mondays feature. Somebody should Wake Me Up and remind me that I need to treat yall like Royals, because that’s what you are. Alas, the Demons of the real world have been haunting me. The Monster that is work has been particularly monstrous lately. But today, I got a chance to Slow Down and enjoy some mashups. That’s right, I’m a lion and you’re going to hear me ROAR. [Applause from the crowd.]
Bonus points to anybody who can name the artists behind all the songs listed in this description. Or all of the artists used in Mashup Germany’s mashup below. Crazytown.
1. Mashup-Germany – Top Of The Pops 2013 (Hey Brother) [Revisited]
2. Ed Sheeran & Passenger – No Diggity vs Thrift Shop (Kygo Remix)
3. Ricky Cervantes – Artichoke Dip (OutKast v. Ke$ha v. Madeon v. Grandtheft)
4. Isosine – Hearts (Bon Iver vs Calvin Harris vs Ellie Goulding vs Childish Gambino vs Jeremy Lim vs Serena Sun)
First off, happy Monday. I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted a Mashup Monday, but I hope yall can forgive me. Now that that’s behind us, here’s our first mashup. It’s by our dude Ricky Cervantes and it got Drake, Krewlla, Kanye West, Lil Wayne and Eminem all on one track and it sounds amazing.
Second, bet you never thought you’d hear Kendrick and Katy Perry on the same track? Particularly not after meeting angry kid Kendrick on “Control.” Ah but alas, The White Panda wanted it to happen, so it did.
Third, Arjun sent me this little gem today, in perfect time for Mashup Monday. The Tutankhamun Brothers found a way to blend Kanye West and The Beatles in a way that sometimes (and frankly more times than I would have expected) actually sounds decent. Not quite Danger Mouse/The Grey Album status, but this is good stuff.
Highlight: What’s a Black Beatle
1. Dire Dire Desire (Mike Posner v. Super Mario 64) – Ricky Cervantes
2. Hollywood Blvd (RAC+Penguin Prison+Empire of the Sun+Felix Da Housecat+TEED) – DRMWVR
3. Can’t Hold Superfreakz (Macklemore x Ryan Lewis x Superfreakz x My Chemical Romance x Bob Marley x Elton John x The Underdog Project x Peter Fox x The Doors x Pink ) – Mashup Germany
4. Party Mashup 2013 Drop It Low Mix – Mason Spinson
Disclaimer: I don’t usually post full sets, but this one was too good to ignore. Throw this on for a party and you’re good to step away from the “DJ booth” for 30 minutes.
5. Close 2 Justice (Kendrick Lamar x Giraffage) - The Hood Internet
I chose to take the same method as last week and ask Facebook fans for mashup submissions, so make sure you’re a fan of the Sunset Facebook page and keep an eye out on Monday for the posts that call for submissions. It’s worked pretty well so far, so I might keep doing that. Shout out to all my homies over there (Anthony, Garrett, Josh, Elisha, and Mike) who submitted songs. We got some fire right hurr. Also, some of these are remixes rather than mashups, but they were too good to ignore, so I put them in here. Hit the jump to hear all of the songs.
1. Midnight Swimming (M83 x Kendrick Lamar) – Patombomb
2. One Day I’ll Be Rich Enough To Buy You All (Rihanna x Rise Against) – Dr. Brixx
This week, I opened up submissions to all fans of the Sunset Facebook page. I had to moderate a little bit, because I can’t say I loved all of them, but most of them were total gems. I might have to do that more often, so if you’re a big fan of mashups and want to submit yours/a friend’s/your favorite, keep an eye out on the Facebook page! Hit the jump to see the full collection!
1. Nilson vs Third Party Feat. RHCP – Otherside (3LAU Edit)
3LAU just created an absurd banger out of some Red Hot Chili Peppers for us. If this isn’t one of the bigger party sounds of the hour, I’m not sure what is. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw this resurface again on this week’s 5 Best Dance Songs of the Week. Killer job by 3LAU.
2. Dear Vagabond (Freelance Whales x Steve Miller Band x Styx x Wolfmother x The Beatles) -ScottScottScott
There’s an introduction on this song that you can skip by downloading the MP3 file here, but a mashup with Freelance Whales and The Beatles was absolutely necessary to include. Again I find myself a victim of the mashups with the lesser-mashed songs. That is, no Krewella. Despite the copyright infringement, well done, ScottScottScott.
Hit the jump for more mashups!
Ay caramba. I’ve been in my death bed for the past four days with what seemed to be the plague, or perhaps the black lung, but I’ve finally managed to lift myself out of it and mosey on over to the couch (#PowerMoves), where I’m now watching football, posting this Mashup Monday, and preparing myself for the Bachelor premiere. I am SO 2013. Hit the jump to see all of the mashups!
1. The Melker Project & Friendly Greg – What You Know About Titanium ft. David Guetta & T.I.
3. The Melker Project – Locked Out Of Swimming Pools ft. Kendrick Lamar & Bruno Mars
We’re heading into the holiday seasons, and it’s that busy time of the year when all the music bloggers hustle day-in-day-out to put together their Best of the Year lists. That’s what we’ve been up to for the most part around here at the Sunset headquarters (aka the Internet), and we’ve already put out our Best Artists of 2012 and Best Songs of 2012. But while we focus on those big things, let’s not forget the little things. Those things include mashups, which for years now have been able to lift me out of some funks and get me into a groove. Happy Holiday season, folks. Dance on.
1. Weezy We Have Heard On High (Holiday Mashup) – The White Panda
Hell yeah, Weezy! Look at you getting into the Holiday spirit!
2. Goodwill Stunting ( Jay-Z x Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) – Sage Franz
I feel sort of guilty posting this, because my beloved Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s song has been chopped up, but hell..it’s catchy, and that’s what mashups do, right?
3. Decisions (Kenny Chesney v. Outkast) – The Early Mourning
Kenny Chesney? On Sunset? That’s a first. I don’t even have any idea what song that is, but the Outkast overlay is dope, so I’m digging it.
4. Val Get Worse (King Louie x Divine Fits) – The Hood Internet
Tell me this isn’t one of the more badass mashups you’ve heard in a minute. Go ahead. I’m the man, little did he know, I’m the man.
5. I Want The Noise (Public Enemy x Jackson 5) – Adam Bailin
I can groove to this right here.