“World is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance.”
― Amit Ray
Got a variety of womps coming at you this Wednesday; From Jersey Club to Trap, and From Dance Floor Anthems to Down-Right Bangers.. We got’em here. Enjoy.
Yellow Claw, Diplo & LNY TNZ – Techno (feat. Waka Flocka Flame)
Porter Robinson – Flicker
Snoop Dogg – Drop It Like It’s Hot (Tim Gunter Remix)
War – Low Rider (Lookas Remix)
Lorde – Tennis Court (Diplo’s Andre Agassi Reebok Pump Remix)
Hudson Mohawke – Chimes (Official)
Daktyl – Jungle Pips
Great Dane – i took her to the bay wit me
Clean Bandit – Rather Be (Andino & Kelvin Remix)
GLADIATOR & the MO$T – Touch (My Ass)
AObeats x Manila Killa x Vices – Food Diaries
Sum 41 – In Too Deep (Kasum Remix)
Valentino Khan feat. DJ Kool – Make Some Noise (Original Mix)
Sander Van Doorn, Martin Garrix, DVBBS – Gold Skies (Elephante Remix)
Schoolboy Q – Hell Of A Night (YOGI REMIX)
Core – RL Grime
The name “Waves” came way before I found the song “Waves” by the incredible Aussie artist Japanese Wallpaper. I was reading about Jackson Sonnanfeld-Arden’s philosophy (introduced to me by Deru) about these Nine Pure Tones, or waves, that serve as the basis of all life and existence. It was a riveting read that has since been taken down from the Internet, and it was just crazy enough to sort of blow my mind and maybe influence my entire life.
You hear about how we’re the most informed generation, but how much of that information are we actually implementing in our behavior? Are we constantly having our behaviors and ideas reaffirmed by seeking comfort in niche sections of the Internet, which monitor our searches to customize the ads we see–only further reaffirming our behaviors? Or are we seeking and interpreting new ideas and incorporating them into our ever-changing social dynamics?
So these have been my thoughts and questions the past two months. You can see how “waves” could work as a metaphor for the ebb and flow of life. And the philosophy takes it like a zillion steps further by defining all science and behaviors in nine different waves. So yeah, um, that was the idea for the mixtape. Also, I just wanted to make your soundtrack for the beginning of summer.
She wears my favorite color, everyday in her eyes…
*Not including track 16 (“Berlin” by Highlands) and track 20 (“Mad at Me” by Sage The Gemini).
Every since he tweeted “June Eighteen” there has been an excessive thirst for news on Kanye West‘s highly-anticipated sixth studio LP. Well, Rolling Stone has managed to snatch up some clues about the album, and I am going to try to connect some of the dots. Here is what we know:
- He has been in Paris, France since the beginning of the year, staying in the illustrious Hotel Meurice (also known as “The Hotel of Kings,” so you know it’s real).
- Hot 97′s Peter Rosenberg said that Kanye played the album for Def Jam and apparently it’s “dark but really good.”
- Kanye went to Brazil instead of The Grammys back in February. He was photographed in the studio with… Will Smith.
- He is playing SNL’s season closer on May 18th. This is three days before Daft Punk‘s album drops, and he has at least two songs with Daft Punk. Thomas Bangalter, half of the influential French duo, said that ‘Ye was “kind of screaming primally” during one of their recent sessions.
- Kanye tweeted “June Eighteen,” which I think is a single release date and not the album release date. Even though I would think he would release a single right after playing SNL in May, I do not think he would undercut label mate Pusha T‘s album My Name Is My Name (which is due out July 16th), with his own album. Oh also, June 18th could totally be Kim Kardashian’s due date.
- West has brought in Skrillex, Chief Keef, and members of Odd Future. The Odd Future feature is especially not surprising as he is a huge Tyler, The Creator fan. For a while Tyler’s legendary “IFHY” music video was the only item featured on Yeezy’s website.
- According to Pigeons & Planes, there may be a Kanye/Gunplay collaboration in the works as well.
UPDATE #1: Kanye took the Met Gala stage by storm last night performing some new material. One song, presumably called “I Am A God,” began with him yelling that. Another featured him telling Kim K that she is so awesome (watch here). Lastly, Hudson Mohawke, half of TNGHT and recent G.O.O.D. Music signee, played a new Yeezy song at one of his sets.
Also, it has been reported that Kanye bought the Hudson beat below. Hopefully, the final product sees the light of day because the instrumental is FIRE.
UPDATE #2: Hud Mo played another new ‘Ye song, this one probably called “New Slaves,” at a recent set.
Kanye said: “You see there’s leaders and there’s followers, but I’d rather be a dick than a swallower.”
Update #3: Kanye stopped by Roseland Ballroom in NYC and performed ANOTHER new track as well as the song we think is called “Awesome.” SNL this weekend is going to be insane.
Update #4: ’Ye took to 66 buildings around the globe to project his new song “New Slaves.”
NEW SONG AND VISUAL FROM MY NEW ALBUM BEING PROJECTED TONIGHT ACROSS THE GLOBE ON 66 BUILDINGS, LOCATIONS @ KANYEWEST.COM
— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) May 18, 2013
Update #5: Ugh. I’ll just embed a #tweet about this “Kanye” character. We can probably expect the “New Slaves” CDQ, featuring Frank Ocean tonight after SNL. Kanye’s album (title still not confirmed) Yeezus will be everywhere on June 18th.
New Kanye album may be called Yeezus, and will be out June 18th (Amazon). “New Slaves” CDQ features Frank Ocean. twitter.com/THEArjunGrover…
— Arjun (@THEArjunGrover) May 18, 2013
Rap is a constantly evolving genre. Even the most traditional artists take risks in delivery, flow, and beat selection; that’s part of what makes the music so consistently interesting and fun and influential. The following songs are not the strangest rap songs out there, but each one features some sort of “abnormality.” Of course, these abnormalities could one day be the norm, and that’s horrifying.
But also incredibly exciting.
- F. Stokes – Madison West High School
- Star Slinger – Ladies in the Back (ft. Teki Latex)
- Acmatic – Make Her Jump
- Flume – On Top (ft. T.Shirt)
- Flux Pavilion – Do or Die (ft. Childish Gambino)
- Dominic Lord – Never and Never (Prod. by Hudson Mohawke)
- K.Flay – Another Round
- Kendall Elijah – Sittin’ (Cover)
- Ab-Soul x JMSN – You’re Gone
- Blood Diamonds – Barcode (ft. Dominic Lord)
- Euro League – Social Network (ft. Denzil Porter)
- Evil Nine – The Black Brad Pitt (ft. Danny Brown) (Deebs Remix)
- Iron Mics x Tonio – T W A (Till We Arrive)
- MeLo-X – GOD MAGIC
- Homeboy Sandman – Illuminati
Related: 10 Weird Rap Songs (Pt. 1)