The summer between middle school and high school was a time of change (#cliché). Yet despite all of the changes, a few things remained constant. One of these constants was my friendship with Josh. We started hanging out in 7th grade, and by the summer after 8th grade, we were ready to make a movie together. The concept was simple. Summer’s Gone would be a coming-of-age story about two young filmmakers who created and submitted a film to a big festival. In the end they would get rejected because “being accepted would be too obvious,” and because they would end up “learning a valuable life lesson from the whole experience anyway.” We had this vision, and we went for it. Kind of. We made a kick-ass trailer for the movie and then moved on to another project.
When people think about the “Wonder Years” they either think about the TV show or their childhood. But for me and Josh, that summer before high school epitomized our wonder years–when we could be carefree and creative and have the time to do whatever we wanted to do. I’m sitting here in my dorm room typing this, which might be sad. But the purpose of me typing all of these words is to say that the wonder years aren’t over until you forget about them. The songs on this mix are from around the time Josh and I started making Summer’s Gone (some of them were even on the official movie soundtrack). I made this “flashback” mixtape as a way of eternalizing that summer before I forget about it, and hopefully these tracks will remind you of something important that you hope to never forget.
It feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel too.
- Jack’s Mannequin – Holiday from Real
- Nada Surf – I Like What You Say
- Bowling for Soup – Almost
- Eve 6 – Inside Out
- Something Corporate – Drunk Girl
- Ben Kweller – Sundress
- Augustana – Boston
- Jimmy Eat World – Hear You Me
- The Killers – Read My Mind
- Keane – Spiralling
- Aqualung – Brighter Than Sunshine
- Griffin House – The Guy That Says Goodbye To You Is Out Of His Mind
- Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
- Vampire Weekend – Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (Teenagers Remix)
- Arctic Monkeys – Fluorescent Adolescent
- Spoon – You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb
- Nada Surf – If You Leave (OMD Cover)
- City and Colour – The Girl
- Matthew Perryman Jones – Save You