Haven’t done a Mashup Monday in a hot minute, but the time has come, my friends! Back on my grind, and in need of some good party tunes, so why not turn to mashups, naw mean? Hit the jump for a whole list of the best mashups I could get my hands on.
1. Nate Belasco – Black Skinhead x Elephant (Kanye West x Tame Impala)
2. Ricky Cervantes – Forever This Young (Avicii & Aloe Blacc x The Knocks x TheFatRat)
3. DJ BAHLER – Summer Luv (The Knife x Ashanti x Fat Joe)
You know when those hip hop songs come out and you look at the list of features and your jaw drops? Like “holy shit, seriously…ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE ON THIS SONG?” But you’re super excited about it because it’s just about every rapper you’re obsessed with right now. Yes, I’m thinking of “1 Train” right now. But I’m also thinking of the new mashup from Ivo Robotnik, featured first in today’s Mashup Monday. I’m not sure I could listen to this song many times, because frankly I don’t love the production, but if only for the features it’s got on there, I had to post it. But then again…I kind of kick myself for doing that, because isn’t that what mashups get shit for after all? Just throwing together the best snippets into a less than ideal result? Ugh, conflict. Whatever. At the very least it’s something to think about, right? (Sorry, Ivo. Not my jam this time around.) Plus, Bobby Fisher brings justice back to Kendrick in the second featured song.
1. Bugg’n For The Night (Spaceman Dranks) [A$AP x DJ Carnage x Hardwell x Kendrick x Chiddy Bang x Dom Kennedy x Birdy Nam Nam x TNGHT] – Ivo RobotniK
2. Swimming Youth (Kendrick Lamar x Lana Del Rey x Nervo x Kanye x Nicki x Santigold x Avicii) – DJ Bobby Fisher
3. Carried Home (Phillip Phillips vs Passion Pit) – DJ 21azy
4. Teardrops [Avicii x Coldplay x Matthew Koma x Krewella] – Troika
I went out with a couple friends on Friday night and one sat down next to me and said straight up, “Lydia? I don’t like everything you post on Sunset in the Rearview, but when I do, it’s almost always Mashup Monday.” And you know what I did? I punched him in the face. When he started to look at me like he was going to kill me, I turned back and said, “Don’t worry, you’ll feel better when you hear what I have for you on Monday.”
1. “DOSVEC Dani California” (B.o.B x Red Hot Chili Peppers) – DOSVEC
The only thing that bothers me about this one is some of the RHCP lines sounding off-tune. Otherwise, pretty smooth. Surprisingly so for these two tracks.
2. “Colours (Remix)” (Skizzy Mars x Biggie Smalls) – DJ 21azy
The Grouplove sample from Skizzy’s track + Biggie. No complainin’! Download here.
3. “The Way I Am” (Eminem x Kid Cudi) – White Lotus
Cudder plus Em? Yes. That is a punch in the face.
4. “My Dangerously Melodic Anthem” – D.Veloped
My Dangerously Melodic Anthem by D.VELOPED
Oh.My.God. My buddy D.Veloped (North Carolina! Raise up!) just killed this. I don’t even know where to begin naming the artists on this track. Move over, Gregg Gillis.
Disclaimer: The above story is somewhat fabricated.