I got called out last week on Twitter for not posting enough Mashup Mondays. I feared it would come to that. So I’m getting my ass in shape and posting a Mashup Monday. (No promises on next week – good mashups are too hard to come by. That might also be an excuse for it being hard to find time to post on Mondays. The real world is the worst.)
1. “Stay/Animal” Mashup/Cover (Miike Snow x Rihanna) – Jessica Rotter & Emily Columbier
2. “Calling All Monsters” (Ellie Goulding x DJ Cassidy x Robin Thicke x Jessie x Eminem x Rihanna x Kanye West x Journey x Gallo & Alaia x Michael Jackson) – Mashup-Germany
3. “Backstreet Rap Alright” (Backstreet Boys x Tupac x Eminem x Nate Dogg x Ludacris) – Poppa Smurf
4. “Counting Favours” (One Republic x Empire Of The Sun) – Carlos Serrano
For a little while, I considered adding Capital Cities‘s “Safe and Sound” to my best songs of 2013 list (which is still in the making), but I have to say I tired of the song too quickly for it to be added to a list of songs that I consider to be contenders for “timeless tracks” as I put them together. So needless to say, when I saw that there was a remix of the Capital Cities track released today, I was hesitant to give it my time at first. But what really pulled me in was the remix artist: Carlos Serrano. The young producer out of San Diego has a history of releasing huge remixes, mashups, and mixes. As somebody who doesn’t tend to prefer electronic music, I have to say I’m a big fan of Carlos’s work. So I gave his version of “Safe and Sound” a spin, and to nobody’s surprise I’m sure, I liked it. He made the instrumentals his almost entirely his own, and sped the track up into something a bit more club-like. Again, that’s not typically my vibe, but there’s something simplistic about Serrano’s approach. It’s not overdone, there’s no enormous bass drop that more often than not is about as appealing to me as banging my head against a wall (or maybe a human-sized speaker system), and it still maintains the original vocal elements from Capital Cities that I loved about the song so much in the first place.
Carlos released this track to celebrate hitting 50,000 fans on Facebook. Well deserved, sir.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
1. Kanye West vs. Kavinsky – Protolife (Carlos Serrano Mix)
2. DMX – Ruff Ryders Anthem (B.Dolla Remix)
3. The Hood Internet – The Thing U Do (Miguel x Shlohmo x RL Grime)
4. Viceroy – Dream Of Bombay (feat Chela)
5. Flux Pavilion – I Feel It
Ay caramba. I’ve been in my death bed for the past four days with what seemed to be the plague, or perhaps the black lung, but I’ve finally managed to lift myself out of it and mosey on over to the couch (#PowerMoves), where I’m now watching football, posting this Mashup Monday, and preparing myself for the Bachelor premiere. I am SO 2013. Hit the jump to see all of the mashups!
1. The Melker Project & Friendly Greg – What You Know About Titanium ft. David Guetta & T.I.
3. The Melker Project – Locked Out Of Swimming Pools ft. Kendrick Lamar & Bruno Mars
It’s the last weekend of November. Winter’s coming, but why stay cold? Heat it up like Lebron with the best of the best of EDM from this week. Don’t worry, you can thank me later.
1. Free Magic & Jkriv – Night Braces (Sammy Bananas Sax Dub)
2. The Hood Internet – 212-PARADISE (Azealia Banks x YACHT)
3. Carlos Serrano – Won’t You Peso (A$AP Rocky vs. Nero)
4. Datsik – Bonafide Hustler (Trap VIP)
5. Zedd ft. Foxes – Clarity (Aylen Remix)
So each week I struggle with what to name this Mashup Monday. So I’m going to number them from now on, and starting today, I’m taking an educated guess here by saying it’s week 130. Yes, it’s a guess, but it seems…somewhat…accurate? That means I’ve been doing Mashup Monday for almost 2.5 years, and considering the blog has been around for almost four years, I’ve done Mashup Mondays for most of those four years, but there are many Mondays without the feature (either because I didn’t have time or I didn’t find good mashups to share), so…130 seems about right. If that’s true, that’s a whole lot of mashups, and a whoooooole lot of Mondays. But that just means that Mondays AREN’T impossible to get through, even though I seem to think they are each week when my alarm clock goes off. Alas. New week, Monday is almost over, and the mashups are still alive!
1. Let’s Go On A World Tour (Wale x Carousel x Sound Remedy) – The White Panda
2. Good Amber Night (Roscoe Dash x 311) – The White Panda
3. Ghetto Angels (2Pac vs The Xx) – Carlos Serrano & TrapZilllas
I’m repurposing this from 5 Best Dance Songs of the Week. Had to. So good.
4. Pop Life (A Mashup of 20 Pop Hits of 2012) – DJ Bobby Fisher
Wow. 2012 isn’t over yet, but here are some of the radio’s top songs of the year. Features Alex Clare, Carly Rae Jepsen, Chris Brown, Demi Lovato, Far East Movement, Justin Bieber, Fun., Gotye, Kanye West, Ke$ha, Kelly Clarkson, M.I.A., Ne-Yo, Nicki Minaj, One Direction, Owl City, Psy, Taylor Swift, Trey Songz and Wale. Whew. That was a lot to type!
Step 1) Listen to songs below.
Step 2) Act like this:
Step 3) Rinse and repeat.
1. Carlos Serrano & TrapZillas – Ghetto Angels (2 Pac vs. The xx)
2. Kanye West, Jay-Z, & Big Sean – Clique (Enferno Remix)
3. The Hood Internet – Goooo In Paris (Jay-Z & Kanye West x TNGHT)
4. The Prodigy – Breathe (Zeds Dead Remix)
5. CAZZETTE vs Alex Clare – Too Close (CAZZETTE Remix)
Sunset’s rounded up the dopest tracks to get down to for the weekend. Take a load off and enjoy below.
1. Kanye West – Clique (feat. Jay-Z & Big Sean)
2. Avicii – Next Levels (TheFatRat Instrumental)
3. The Hood Internet – Dance With Henrietta (Big Sean x Yeasayer)
4. Rihanna vs. Daft Punk – We Make Love (Carlos Serrano Mix)
5. No Doubt – Push and Shove (feat. Busy Signal, Major Lazer)
We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. ‘Cause if your friends don’t dance, and if they don’t dance, well they’re no friends of mine.
You know what time it is.