My goodness, you guys. I sincerely apologize for dropping the [Wrecking] Ball on the Mashup Mondays feature. Somebody should Wake Me Up and remind me that I need to treat yall like Royals, because that’s what you are. Alas, the Demons of the real world have been haunting me. The Monster that is work has been particularly monstrous lately. But today, I got a chance to Slow Down and enjoy some mashups. That’s right, I’m a lion and you’re going to hear me ROAR. [Applause from the crowd.]
Bonus points to anybody who can name the artists behind all the songs listed in this description. Or all of the artists used in Mashup Germany’s mashup below. Crazytown.
1. Mashup-Germany – Top Of The Pops 2013 (Hey Brother) [Revisited]
2. Ed Sheeran & Passenger – No Diggity vs Thrift Shop (Kygo Remix)
3. Ricky Cervantes – Artichoke Dip (OutKast v. Ke$ha v. Madeon v. Grandtheft)
4. Isosine – Hearts (Bon Iver vs Calvin Harris vs Ellie Goulding vs Childish Gambino vs Jeremy Lim vs Serena Sun)
First off, happy Monday. I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted a Mashup Monday, but I hope yall can forgive me. Now that that’s behind us, here’s our first mashup. It’s by our dude Ricky Cervantes and it got Drake, Krewlla, Kanye West, Lil Wayne and Eminem all on one track and it sounds amazing.
Second, bet you never thought you’d hear Kendrick and Katy Perry on the same track? Particularly not after meeting angry kid Kendrick on “Control.” Ah but alas, The White Panda wanted it to happen, so it did.
Third, Arjun sent me this little gem today, in perfect time for Mashup Monday. The Tutankhamun Brothers found a way to blend Kanye West and The Beatles in a way that sometimes (and frankly more times than I would have expected) actually sounds decent. Not quite Danger Mouse/The Grey Album status, but this is good stuff.
Highlight: What’s a Black Beatle
Haven’t done a Mashup Monday in a hot minute, but the time has come, my friends! Back on my grind, and in need of some good party tunes, so why not turn to mashups, naw mean? Hit the jump for a whole list of the best mashups I could get my hands on.
1. Nate Belasco – Black Skinhead x Elephant (Kanye West x Tame Impala)
2. Ricky Cervantes – Forever This Young (Avicii & Aloe Blacc x The Knocks x TheFatRat)
3. DJ BAHLER – Summer Luv (The Knife x Ashanti x Fat Joe)
1. Dire Dire Desire (Mike Posner v. Super Mario 64) – Ricky Cervantes
2. Hollywood Blvd (RAC+Penguin Prison+Empire of the Sun+Felix Da Housecat+TEED) – DRMWVR
3. Can’t Hold Superfreakz (Macklemore x Ryan Lewis x Superfreakz x My Chemical Romance x Bob Marley x Elton John x The Underdog Project x Peter Fox x The Doors x Pink ) – Mashup Germany
4. Party Mashup 2013 Drop It Low Mix – Mason Spinson
Disclaimer: I don’t usually post full sets, but this one was too good to ignore. Throw this on for a party and you’re good to step away from the “DJ booth” for 30 minutes.
5. Close 2 Justice (Kendrick Lamar x Giraffage) - The Hood Internet
Figured it was time to refresh the Mashup Monday artwork. Bears are cool, right? I’ve been kind of into them lately. Hit the jump for your fill of this week’s top mashups!
1. The Scars of Your Love [Purity Ring + Adele + e-dubble + John Legend] – DJ Bahler
2. Get It On Night By Night (Chromeo vs Marvin Gaye) – Mashed and Confused
I chose to take the same method as last week and ask Facebook fans for mashup submissions, so make sure you’re a fan of the Sunset Facebook page and keep an eye out on Monday for the posts that call for submissions. It’s worked pretty well so far, so I might keep doing that. Shout out to all my homies over there (Anthony, Garrett, Josh, Elisha, and Mike) who submitted songs. We got some fire right hurr. Also, some of these are remixes rather than mashups, but they were too good to ignore, so I put them in here. Hit the jump to hear all of the songs.
1. Midnight Swimming (M83 x Kendrick Lamar) – Patombomb
2. One Day I’ll Be Rich Enough To Buy You All (Rihanna x Rise Against) – Dr. Brixx
This week, I opened up submissions to all fans of the Sunset Facebook page. I had to moderate a little bit, because I can’t say I loved all of them, but most of them were total gems. I might have to do that more often, so if you’re a big fan of mashups and want to submit yours/a friend’s/your favorite, keep an eye out on the Facebook page! Hit the jump to see the full collection!
1. Nilson vs Third Party Feat. RHCP – Otherside (3LAU Edit)
3LAU just created an absurd banger out of some Red Hot Chili Peppers for us. If this isn’t one of the bigger party sounds of the hour, I’m not sure what is. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw this resurface again on this week’s 5 Best Dance Songs of the Week. Killer job by 3LAU.
2. Dear Vagabond (Freelance Whales x Steve Miller Band x Styx x Wolfmother x The Beatles) -ScottScottScott
There’s an introduction on this song that you can skip by downloading the MP3 file here, but a mashup with Freelance Whales and The Beatles was absolutely necessary to include. Again I find myself a victim of the mashups with the lesser-mashed songs. That is, no Krewella. Despite the copyright infringement, well done, ScottScottScott.
Hit the jump for more mashups!
Tell me you’ve seen a mashup with a better lineup than the first one on today’s docket. The White Panda outdid themselves with Ellie Goulding, Kendrick Lamar, RHCP and The Lumineers all in one mashup. I nearly threw in the towel and quit after that one, but more mashups were calling my name this week, lucky for you guys. Also, I’m typically morally opposed to 2Chainz, but this mashup that The Hood Internet threw together with 2Chainz and STRFKR is just so jiggy. I can’t help myself! Fuck 2Chainz, tho.
1. Firefly (Ellie Goulding x Kendrick Lamar x Red Hot Chili Peppers x The Lumineers) – The White Panda (Download here)
2. While I’m Different (2 Chainz x STRFKR) – The Hood Internet
3. Bright Diamonds (Rihanna x The Knocks) – DOSVEC
4. Feelin’ The Landslide (Fleetwood Mac x Jay-Z) – The Melker Project (Download whole mixtape here)
You know when those hip hop songs come out and you look at the list of features and your jaw drops? Like “holy shit, seriously…ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE ON THIS SONG?” But you’re super excited about it because it’s just about every rapper you’re obsessed with right now. Yes, I’m thinking of “1 Train” right now. But I’m also thinking of the new mashup from Ivo Robotnik, featured first in today’s Mashup Monday. I’m not sure I could listen to this song many times, because frankly I don’t love the production, but if only for the features it’s got on there, I had to post it. But then again…I kind of kick myself for doing that, because isn’t that what mashups get shit for after all? Just throwing together the best snippets into a less than ideal result? Ugh, conflict. Whatever. At the very least it’s something to think about, right? (Sorry, Ivo. Not my jam this time around.) Plus, Bobby Fisher brings justice back to Kendrick in the second featured song.
1. Bugg’n For The Night (Spaceman Dranks) [A$AP x DJ Carnage x Hardwell x Kendrick x Chiddy Bang x Dom Kennedy x Birdy Nam Nam x TNGHT] – Ivo RobotniK
2. Swimming Youth (Kendrick Lamar x Lana Del Rey x Nervo x Kanye x Nicki x Santigold x Avicii) – DJ Bobby Fisher
3. Carried Home (Phillip Phillips vs Passion Pit) – DJ 21azy
4. Teardrops [Avicii x Coldplay x Matthew Koma x Krewella] – Troika
Ay caramba. I’ve been in my death bed for the past four days with what seemed to be the plague, or perhaps the black lung, but I’ve finally managed to lift myself out of it and mosey on over to the couch (#PowerMoves), where I’m now watching football, posting this Mashup Monday, and preparing myself for the Bachelor premiere. I am SO 2013. Hit the jump to see all of the mashups!