1. Dire Dire Desire (Mike Posner v. Super Mario 64) – Ricky Cervantes
2. Hollywood Blvd (RAC+Penguin Prison+Empire of the Sun+Felix Da Housecat+TEED) – DRMWVR
3. Can’t Hold Superfreakz (Macklemore x Ryan Lewis x Superfreakz x My Chemical Romance x Bob Marley x Elton John x The Underdog Project x Peter Fox x The Doors x Pink ) – Mashup Germany
4. Party Mashup 2013 Drop It Low Mix – Mason Spinson
Disclaimer: I don’t usually post full sets, but this one was too good to ignore. Throw this on for a party and you’re good to step away from the “DJ booth” for 30 minutes.
5. Close 2 Justice (Kendrick Lamar x Giraffage) - The Hood Internet
Figured it was time to refresh the Mashup Monday artwork. Bears are cool, right? I’ve been kind of into them lately. Hit the jump for your fill of this week’s top mashups!
1. The Scars of Your Love [Purity Ring + Adele + e-dubble + John Legend] – DJ Bahler
2. Get It On Night By Night (Chromeo vs Marvin Gaye) – Mashed and Confused
I chose to take the same method as last week and ask Facebook fans for mashup submissions, so make sure you’re a fan of the Sunset Facebook page and keep an eye out on Monday for the posts that call for submissions. It’s worked pretty well so far, so I might keep doing that. Shout out to all my homies over there (Anthony, Garrett, Josh, Elisha, and Mike) who submitted songs. We got some fire right hurr. Also, some of these are remixes rather than mashups, but they were too good to ignore, so I put them in here. Hit the jump to hear all of the songs.
1. Midnight Swimming (M83 x Kendrick Lamar) – Patombomb
2. One Day I’ll Be Rich Enough To Buy You All (Rihanna x Rise Against) – Dr. Brixx
This week, I opened up submissions to all fans of the Sunset Facebook page. I had to moderate a little bit, because I can’t say I loved all of them, but most of them were total gems. I might have to do that more often, so if you’re a big fan of mashups and want to submit yours/a friend’s/your favorite, keep an eye out on the Facebook page! Hit the jump to see the full collection!
1. Nilson vs Third Party Feat. RHCP – Otherside (3LAU Edit)
3LAU just created an absurd banger out of some Red Hot Chili Peppers for us. If this isn’t one of the bigger party sounds of the hour, I’m not sure what is. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw this resurface again on this week’s 5 Best Dance Songs of the Week. Killer job by 3LAU.
2. Dear Vagabond (Freelance Whales x Steve Miller Band x Styx x Wolfmother x The Beatles) -ScottScottScott
There’s an introduction on this song that you can skip by downloading the MP3 file here, but a mashup with Freelance Whales and The Beatles was absolutely necessary to include. Again I find myself a victim of the mashups with the lesser-mashed songs. That is, no Krewella. Despite the copyright infringement, well done, ScottScottScott.
Hit the jump for more mashups!
Tell me you’ve seen a mashup with a better lineup than the first one on today’s docket. The White Panda outdid themselves with Ellie Goulding, Kendrick Lamar, RHCP and The Lumineers all in one mashup. I nearly threw in the towel and quit after that one, but more mashups were calling my name this week, lucky for you guys. Also, I’m typically morally opposed to 2Chainz, but this mashup that The Hood Internet threw together with 2Chainz and STRFKR is just so jiggy. I can’t help myself! Fuck 2Chainz, tho.
1. Firefly (Ellie Goulding x Kendrick Lamar x Red Hot Chili Peppers x The Lumineers) – The White Panda (Download here)
2. While I’m Different (2 Chainz x STRFKR) – The Hood Internet
3. Bright Diamonds (Rihanna x The Knocks) – DOSVEC
4. Feelin’ The Landslide (Fleetwood Mac x Jay-Z) – The Melker Project (Download whole mixtape here)
You know when those hip hop songs come out and you look at the list of features and your jaw drops? Like “holy shit, seriously…ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE ON THIS SONG?” But you’re super excited about it because it’s just about every rapper you’re obsessed with right now. Yes, I’m thinking of “1 Train” right now. But I’m also thinking of the new mashup from Ivo Robotnik, featured first in today’s Mashup Monday. I’m not sure I could listen to this song many times, because frankly I don’t love the production, but if only for the features it’s got on there, I had to post it. But then again…I kind of kick myself for doing that, because isn’t that what mashups get shit for after all? Just throwing together the best snippets into a less than ideal result? Ugh, conflict. Whatever. At the very least it’s something to think about, right? (Sorry, Ivo. Not my jam this time around.) Plus, Bobby Fisher brings justice back to Kendrick in the second featured song.
1. Bugg’n For The Night (Spaceman Dranks) [A$AP x DJ Carnage x Hardwell x Kendrick x Chiddy Bang x Dom Kennedy x Birdy Nam Nam x TNGHT] – Ivo RobotniK
2. Swimming Youth (Kendrick Lamar x Lana Del Rey x Nervo x Kanye x Nicki x Santigold x Avicii) – DJ Bobby Fisher
3. Carried Home (Phillip Phillips vs Passion Pit) – DJ 21azy
4. Teardrops [Avicii x Coldplay x Matthew Koma x Krewella] – Troika
Ay caramba. I’ve been in my death bed for the past four days with what seemed to be the plague, or perhaps the black lung, but I’ve finally managed to lift myself out of it and mosey on over to the couch (#PowerMoves), where I’m now watching football, posting this Mashup Monday, and preparing myself for the Bachelor premiere. I am SO 2013. Hit the jump to see all of the mashups!
1. The Melker Project & Friendly Greg – What You Know About Titanium ft. David Guetta & T.I.
3. The Melker Project – Locked Out Of Swimming Pools ft. Kendrick Lamar & Bruno Mars
We’re heading into the holiday seasons, and it’s that busy time of the year when all the music bloggers hustle day-in-day-out to put together their Best of the Year lists. That’s what we’ve been up to for the most part around here at the Sunset headquarters (aka the Internet), and we’ve already put out our Best Artists of 2012 and Best Songs of 2012. But while we focus on those big things, let’s not forget the little things. Those things include mashups, which for years now have been able to lift me out of some funks and get me into a groove. Happy Holiday season, folks. Dance on.
1. Weezy We Have Heard On High (Holiday Mashup) – The White Panda
Hell yeah, Weezy! Look at you getting into the Holiday spirit!
2. Goodwill Stunting ( Jay-Z x Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) – Sage Franz
I feel sort of guilty posting this, because my beloved Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s song has been chopped up, but hell..it’s catchy, and that’s what mashups do, right?
3. Decisions (Kenny Chesney v. Outkast) – The Early Mourning
Kenny Chesney? On Sunset? That’s a first. I don’t even have any idea what song that is, but the Outkast overlay is dope, so I’m digging it.
4. Val Get Worse (King Louie x Divine Fits) – The Hood Internet
Tell me this isn’t one of the more badass mashups you’ve heard in a minute. Go ahead. I’m the man, little did he know, I’m the man.
5. I Want The Noise (Public Enemy x Jackson 5) – Adam Bailin
I can groove to this right here.
So each week I struggle with what to name this Mashup Monday. So I’m going to number them from now on, and starting today, I’m taking an educated guess here by saying it’s week 130. Yes, it’s a guess, but it seems…somewhat…accurate? That means I’ve been doing Mashup Monday for almost 2.5 years, and considering the blog has been around for almost four years, I’ve done Mashup Mondays for most of those four years, but there are many Mondays without the feature (either because I didn’t have time or I didn’t find good mashups to share), so…130 seems about right. If that’s true, that’s a whole lot of mashups, and a whoooooole lot of Mondays. But that just means that Mondays AREN’T impossible to get through, even though I seem to think they are each week when my alarm clock goes off. Alas. New week, Monday is almost over, and the mashups are still alive!
1. Let’s Go On A World Tour (Wale x Carousel x Sound Remedy) – The White Panda
2. Good Amber Night (Roscoe Dash x 311) – The White Panda
3. Ghetto Angels (2Pac vs The Xx) – Carlos Serrano & TrapZilllas
I’m repurposing this from 5 Best Dance Songs of the Week. Had to. So good.
4. Pop Life (A Mashup of 20 Pop Hits of 2012) – DJ Bobby Fisher
Wow. 2012 isn’t over yet, but here are some of the radio’s top songs of the year. Features Alex Clare, Carly Rae Jepsen, Chris Brown, Demi Lovato, Far East Movement, Justin Bieber, Fun., Gotye, Kanye West, Ke$ha, Kelly Clarkson, M.I.A., Ne-Yo, Nicki Minaj, One Direction, Owl City, Psy, Taylor Swift, Trey Songz and Wale. Whew. That was a lot to type!
I don’t mean to let yall down, but I only found two good mashups this week. I went through all submissions and tried to search the web for other quality ones, but wasn’t able to find any. Oh well, quality over quantity is always the answer. So boom, here are your two mashups.
1. “I’m Coming Home” (M83 x P. Diddy ft. Skylar Grey x Bob Marley x 3 Doors Down x Sting x Jamaram x Men at Work x Mighty Mike x Rihanna x Cro) – Mashup-Germany
This one has a lot of elements to it, so at times it gets a little busy, but what I like best about it is that it has a theme: it’s a song about leaving and coming home. Nice work, Mashup-Germany.
2. Fort Mansion (Tupac & Nas x Fort Minor) – Fusion
There’s a super weird section of singing in this mashup, but other than that, pretty smooth mashup. Tupac lives.
1. The Language of Feeling (The Knocks vs Porter Robinson) – The Knocks
My man JDimerrr sent me this mashup. Loving it. Definitely a good weekender track for those of you who like to get down on the dance floor.
2. Million Voices Will Fix You (Otto Knows x Coldplay x Jakob Liedholm) – Drivas
I don’t know what it is lately, but I’ve been remembering how much I used to love Coldplay, and been getting back into it a little bit. Go ahead, judge me. Tell me this song didn’t do magical things for you when it first came out, and I’ll call you a liar.
3. Death Cab for Luda (Death Cab for Cutie x Ludacris) – Ricky Cervantes
I can’t believe this mashup works, but somehow it does. WOW. Mind is blown a bit on this one. Similar to Coldplay, I’ve been turning back to Death Cab a bit lately. So silly to think back on my emo high school and college days.
4. Eyes and Years (Kaskade x Ellie Goulding x Alesso & Matthew Koma x Kelly Clarkson x PNAU) – Sharkf3ng
This one is pretty electro-heavy, but if you’re into that sort of thing, this track is made for you. It’s pretty well done, too.