As one of my favorite music festivals (if not my very favorite), ACL, rounds the corner, I sadly realized that this is the first year in three that I have not written for the festival. It’s a sad realization, but one that comes to no surprise of my own. Time is a precious thing these days, and sadly there isn’t much that I can devote to festivals. That said, I still it in me to find time to put together a suggested schedule for all my friends and readers who are lucky enough to go to Austin City Limits this year!
For me, festivals aren’t a time to get up super early and wait in line to get into the gates. I’d rather get my sleep and rest up for a full day of music and sun. Luckily, the best performers typically aren’t put on in the morning, with an exception this year. My new favorite band of the moment, Alt-J, is performing Sunday morning, and I would absolutely make the trek out early to see them perform. Other than that, here’s my suggested schedule with some sample MP3s for ACL 2012.
Friday October 12
Start your day off slow with Patrick Watson. You may need to ease into the ACL experience. You have a full weekend ahead. You wont have to pick up your pace too quickly with this schedule — Delta Spirit into Ben Howard and either a break or Tegan and Sara will ease you into the experience, but the energy will pick up with your arrival at Alabama Shakes. Then Florence + The Machine…if you haven’t seen her live yet, just wait. Your mind will be blown by the insanity of her vocal pipes. And you can’t really go wrong with M83 or The Black Keys. What a Friday.
- 1:30 – 2:30 Patrick Watson (MP3: “Great Escape” – Patrick Watson“)
- 2:15 – 3:15 Delta Spirit
- 3:15-4:15 Ben Howard
- 4:30-5:30 Break or check out Tegan and Sara
- 5:30 – 6:30 Alabama Shakes
- 6:30 – 7:30 Florence + The Machine (MP3: “Swimming” – Florence + The Machine)
- 7:30 – 8:30 M83
- 8:30 – 10:00 The Black Keys
- 1:15 – 2 Bombay Bicycle Club
- 2:00 – 2:45 Dry the River (MP3: “History Book” – Dry the River)
- 3:00 – 4:00 Oberhofer (close pick over K.R.I.T.) (MP3: “ooOOOOooo” – Oberhofer)
- 4:00 – 5:00 Andrew Bird
- Break, or go check out Big Gigantic if you’re ambitious
- 6:00 – 7:00 Kishi Bashi or The Shins…both are great. Take your pick. (MP3: “I Am The Antichrist To You” – Kishi Bashi)
- 7:00 – 8:00 Gotye
- 8:00 – 9:00 Jack White (Neil Young is a dead man walking. At this hour, you’ll fall asleep.)
Sunday, October 14
Sunday is the day I’d be most excited for if I could attend ACL this year. The lineup is incredible. It starts with one of my favorite bands of 2012, Alt-J, and before closing with Red Hot Chili Peppers, you get to see gems like The Lumineers, The Avett Brothers, and Childish Gambino. Sadly I’ve never gotten to see them live, but I have never heard anything but absolute praise for The Avett Brothers’ live show. It’s supposed to be one of the best of our time. All of these sets should be ones that stick with you forever, so if you must do anything over the course of the weekend, please do yourself a favor and stay for the whole day on Sunday. Then go ahead and thank me later.
- 11:30 – 12:15 Alt-J
- 12:15 – 1:15 The Boxer Rebellion (MP3: “Locked in the Basement” – The Boxer Rebellion)
- 1:15 – 2:15 Freelance Whales
- 2:15 – 3:15 Gary Clark Jr. (MP3: “The Life” – Gary Clark Jr.)
- 3:15 – 4:15 Tennis
- 4:15 – 5:15 Two Door Cinema Club (close call over The Civil Wars)
- 5:00 – 5:45 The Lumineers (sad to say it, but you have to skip The Weeknd to run to see The Avett Brothers) (MP3: “Classy Girls [B-Side Version] – The Lumineers)
- 6:15 – 7:30 The Avett Brothers (MP3: “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise” – The Avett Brothers)
- 7:30 – 8:15 Childish Gambino
- 8:15 Red Hot Chili Peppers